beckstraordinary
one classy broad
12.11.2005
Is A Balloon Animal Jesus Blasphemy...?

So, I was at a restaurant with some friends last week that I've only known a couple months and haven't really gotten to know yet. Two of the guys, I guess, are always bringing up politics and religion because, I guess they just feel the need to be annoying? I don't know, but when they brought it up, my happy fun challenge light went on and I had a great time the entire night.

Well, one of them starts talking about Universalism (opt out instead of opt in Christianity). He starts the conversation with, "for all intents and purposes, I consider myself a born again Christian, but I buy into the Universalist school of thinking," but how he beileves we all start out predestined for heaven and unless we actively reject Christ, we're all bound for heaven which accounts for all the babies and people who will never hear the Gospel (capitalizing it because I know it's technically just theory to some of you) and whathaveyou.

He's getting all down on the idea because it lets a lot of folks he'd never want to visit heaven with in. Then proceeds to try to pull my sister's and my opinion out of us.

In the back of my mind, something's not right about what he just said, but I couldn't put my finger on it. We went through the whole night and instead of dancing (which was the entire purpose) we philosophize and wax poetic all night about policy and prostelitizing.

I get out to my car and start to clear it off when the friggin light goes off in my head. Damnit. They're all still inside, but it's midnight and I still have to wake up at 5, so I get in the car with my sister and tell her to dial one of them on the phone so they can pass it to this guy.

It doesn't get to him, so I relay the message through someone else who is entirely sloshed. Hilarious.

"For all intents and purposes, I consider myself a born again Christian, but I buy into the Universalist school of thinking."

By his own admission, he either booted himself out of the Universalist ideal of Christianity, or out of "born again" Christianity.

Conundrum.

I passed along the message that for him to be born again - which in fact, it was Jesus in John 3 who said, "Whoever wants to see the kingdom of heaven must be born again," - he totally had to have opted in.

I was dying the entire night and tossing and turning in my sleep. I hear a couple days later that he said, "Well, it's good that she turned back to something that Jesus said," and Friday at the Eagles Lodge, he comes up to me and says, "Now let's debate the Trinity."
5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Fascinating post! But do you think that the "kingdom" is something we see after death? "Heaven"? Or the rule of God among us? If it's the rule of God among people, then maybe being "born again" has less to do with heaven than how you live your life. Just a thought.

Blogger Beckstraordinary said...
I do believe the "kingdom" is something we see after death. Any time Jesus spoke about it, he spoke in the context of it being a place or something to anticipate.

The rule of God among us always was and always will be. It's something we have to choose to abide in. So, it is, in fact, "opt in."

Anonymous Anonymous said...
If we were all predestined for heaven "by default", wouldn't it be better to
burn every bible and never tell kids about Jesus? That way *everyone* gets to
go to heaven.

On the other flipper, a strict "opt-in" approach does seem remarkably unjust to
those poor souls who never even heard about the whole Christianity thingy: stuck
in the toasty place and why? Born in the wrong place or time.

Not that I know much about this stuff.

Blogger Beckstraordinary said...
Well, there's a snippet of what Jesus said that I do believe at least covers the idea that God's got a plan and takes care of everything he created.

Matthew 6:25-34

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own
."

So, word-for-word, I'd have to do more research, but at the very least, by this you could take it on authority that God has a stake in everything He created and doesn't just let things that can't be held accountable slip idly by.

Blogger Beckstraordinary said...
Oh, and as far as the first question is concerned, I do believe in a sort of predestination, but not in the same way that people build beilef systems on it.

I believe that we were created by God, and sent off to fulfill certian destinies, but were given free reign of how and whether or not we get there. I believe we're all programmed inside do get back home to God (predestination), but we make the decisions and call the shots as He's given us that free reign and full control of our decisions that some of us will never opt in, some who've opted in at one point will opt out, and some of us will fulfill those destinies that were intended for us.

I know I read numbers in Revelations, but I still have yet to know what to make of them. I don't know how they will be fulfilled or how to interpret them as I am EXTREMELY fallible.