beckstraordinary
one classy broad
3.14.2004
Can I Get A Witness?!?
Bah, at work there's a guy I "enjoy" named Dan. I caught him giving me a goofy look one night while prarie dogging at work (we're in cubicles, and prarie dogging is when you stand up and talk to your neighbors), and since then, I get the feeling there's been an escalation to flirting.

We've had EXTREMELY brief conversations. I know he wants to be a baseball coach and a special ed teacher. That's about all I've learned...mostly because I butt into a conversation he was having with a friend of mine. The reason I think this is most because (well, there are a lot of becauses...but they're all situational) today...baaaaarrrgggh.

Today I started my schedule change. I come in earlier now. I went to my first break, and there he was (before the schedule change, he'd come in an hour before my shift was over), so I was suprised to see him. It was one of those funny, "hey, what are you doing here?" kinda moments, only I opened my big mouth. I said, "Well, you're here pretty early." He smiled and told me he was starting his new schedule change today. I took it a step further (to my disbelief) and asked him what his new schedule change was. ***pause***I freak out because ohmygosh a)I don't talk to guys b)I think I've just outed my stalkerish nature and c)I have no clue what to do***unpause*** So while he leans over the waterfountian, I make my way to the bathroom without saying a word. Freaking out in my head.

(yes kids, this is all the set up to get to the point)

I come back out of the bathroom and just head in the first direction my feet take me...the break room. There he is, sitting right in front of the door watching tv. He looks over at me momentarily, and I panic...for some damn reason my body wouldn't turn around and I cause myself further embarassment. While walking by him, I apologize for walking away and then walk away again (I know, I know...*MORON*).

(still setting up)

I go to talk to my friend Kristina, but know as soon as I start to tell her anything, he's gonna be walking behind me to go back to work. So sure enough, I get ready to tell her everything, and he and a mutual friend of ours (Sarah) walk behind me, and I have to leave Kristina in the lurch because my break is over.

Later on, during my lunch, Sarah comes and invites herself to sit with me. She asks me if I'm going to her party tonight. I don't answer because she starts talking to someone on the phone. Back at the cubicles, she asks me again, but to no avail, I have to handle a call. The third time she asks me, she doesn't fail to mention that Dan will be there. I say no, on the grounds that I have to be up early to teach Sunday school the next morning (which was/is no lie).

(a little more set up)

So I get ready to leave work, and I see Dan packing up. I went to grab my lunch bag in the breakroom and stop to watch a second of SNL (because there's no way I could bring myself to walk past an SNL sketch), when there comes Dan, prancing down the hall, looking me straight in the eye with a big smile on his face. I'm blushing and smiling like an idiot.

He's walking...walking...gets past the breakroom door so I can't see him anymore when his head pops back in my direct line of vision and he gives me this very Joey Tribiani knowing smile, like he's just caught me or somethin.

(the point)

IS THIS GUY FLIRTING WITH ME or am I nuts? It seemed very on purpose...and bah. I'm a moron.