beckstraordinary
one classy broad
2.26.2004
[Insert Here] Some Cute Little Pun About "The Passion"
Ebert expresses a lot of what I feel very well. Very well...and I'm not even Catholic (nor have I ever been).

On anti-Semitism: I realize that in some circles of the world, this is still a very real issue. Thus concerns should certianly be addressed depending on who this movie is being released to. However, in an American setting...maybe I'm just a very ignorant little evangelical girl, but I would hope...hope that the rest of the US would give me enough credit to know who really killed Jesus. Yes, I do believe it was Judas by betraying Him. I believe it was the Jews when they said, "Give us Barabas." I also believe it was the Romans who physically put him to death. Moreso than that though, this story, ABOVE ALL OTHER STORIES, transends time. Isaiah 53:5 "But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." There is no one singled out in scripture. That, if I might be so bold, holds us all to Christ's death. He bore the burden of all of our sins. So yes, it was me who betrayed Jesus. It was me who denied Jesus. I was me who shouted, "Crucify him!" It was me. I'm not selfish enough to believe it was a peoplegroup...because that would defeat the damn purpose.

On the gore: The truth is, people wouldn't be so quick to give this an NC-17 rating (which there was much talk of) if all of this violence was spread over a number of people rather than just one person. This movie was as gory as Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan, Last of the Mohicans and a NUMBER of other movies--including, yes, Braveheart. If people didn't walk away from any of those movies without feeling "punished for who knows what sins," as David Ansen so lovingly put it, they're sorely misguided. I sat through each of those movies with my hands over my eyes and stomach and walked away feeling sorely beat up...for the value of entertainment even! I'll be honest, this movie is not entertaining...it goes so far beyond that, which is why people are so afraid of the gore. It's like alcohol: the more concentrated the alcohol, the worse off it is for your body when you ingest it. There was a focus to one man in this movie. Focus and a clear goal is scary. It pinpoints something (especially in the case of "The Passion") that makes people shift in their seats.

On the Interpretation: If you were to sit me down and ask me what the intrinsic value of this movie is, it is to show the litteral "Passion" of Christ (Ebert explains this word further which will hopefully enlighten you if you should read all of what I say before reading his article). Of His loving sacrifice, although albeit, it's hard to understand the love in a few mere flashbacks. Jesus teachings took a back seat in this movie because this movie wasn't about Jesus teachings. It was about Jesus sacrifice, which is just the tip of the very core of Christianity. It had a moment of His ressurection (which is the core of Christianity itself) which, even though it pisses many people off that the ressurection is a mere minute of the ENTIRE movie--THAT WAS NOT Gibson's INTENTION. Although that mere moment sparked that utter faith that I have in the depths of my being...brought that "inside joke" half-smile to my face, because the truth is, the sacrifice is what brought about the ressurection. You could not have one without the other.

I will be honest, this is an interpretation. You want the truth, you read the Book, you decide for yourself what you believe. I can point out several contradictions between the book and the movie...I've read the thing five times in my life, if not more. There is freedom in knowing the truth, because it gives you a better grasp on how to take an interpretation with a grain of salt.

On Andy Rooney: This guy's about to croak any day now. I hope he really heard from God. Either way, I'll send one up for him after he croaks that God will have mercy on his soul for being such a cold-hearted jerk in this life.


PS. The baby in her arms was symbolism for family. I just got that. Guh.